Friday 18 April 2008

Update from Guelph

So, I just finished my first week at my position for the City of Guelph as a Water Efficiency Program Assistant. I really like my new job; the people are great, and the project I'm working on is innovative and engaging.

I didn't get the OPA job because I didn't "have enough experience". I was "over-qualified" for the intern position... I guess they need to find me a position where I have the "right" amount of qualification. Either way, I know I made a good impression on them so there are opportunities for the future. I'm obviously disappointed, but not discouraged. It's all part of the process I guess.

All in all, I am happy I have the job at Guelph because I will have a lot more time (and rest) and have more energy to work in the evenings on my thesis... that is.. if I avoid the pubs and patios on the way home from work.

I also found out that I wasn't accepted to the PhD program at York. But, I'm actually relieved. I only put a half-hearted effort into the application. I think I need a bit of time before I dive into another 4-6 years of school.

So, I'm pretty happy. I feel a bit weird to have so many rejections in one week.. but better to get that out of the way now I guess.

No comments: